Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I've Learned Something About Myself

My blog posts have been way down, but that's because my novel-writing has gone WAY up. This is a big thing because I have never before--excluding schoolwork and the children's choir musicals--finished anything that I've started. It's something about the deadline, I believe, that gets me motivated. After all, isn't that why I've completed schoolwork and musicals? There's a due date; there's a performance date. When I've tried to start projects on my own, with no deadline, I often get bored and move on to something else.

That's why NaNoWriMo has been so great. I have just 30 days to write 50,000 words. Miraculously, I have found time to write! I'm closing in on my 15,000 word goal for the week--so everything else I write this week is just gravy. I've also found that with this deadline, it's spawned some extra creativity in me. When I've written before, I'll get stuck in a plot and just quit. NaNo doesn't allow that--I've got to get these 50,000 words, so the characters end up telling me these wonderful things about themselves, like having an English accent or becoming so dependent on your father's input that it's debilitating. I sit there at my computer, and these things just happen! It's amazing, really, and I suggest that more people try it.

I think you'll surprise yourself, like I did.

Toodles!

1 comment:

Kim Eckhardt said...

Go Josie! Go Josie!