Wednesday, October 29, 2008

NaNoWriMo

No, I didn't fall asleep on the keyboard, making random letters just pop up in the title box. After years of playing around with the idea, I've decided that I'm really going to do it. I'm going to write a novel, and now I have some folks to keep me motivated and some thing to keep me accountable.

That's right, folks. I signed up for National Novel Writing Month. The premise is to write a 50,000-word novel during the month of November. I'm all jittery, and my hands are shaking as I type it. Y'all, I can barely find the keys, seriously. Then again, that might have something to do with that GIGANTIC cup of coffee I had this morning.

Thing is, I've started like four novels. But I wouldn't tell anyone about them; the characters would just fade into the background, and sheets of notebook paper would just be thrown into a pile at the bottom of a box of my music books. I've got this idea, though, that I just cannot get out of my head. I've done tons of research (naturally) and I've told Richie and my sister Tracey about it, so I have support and people to talk to about my novel. Signing up for NaNoWriMo keeps me accountable because I have to post a word count every day, or else I won't win. I like winning, and I like following rules, so it's perfect, really. I'll be twittering my word count daily, as well, so all of you will know how I'm progressing with my writing.

Wish me luck! NaNoWriMo begins at midnight on November 1.

Toodles!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG...I signed up too...after reading your blog. I don't know if I can do this...no ideas, no plot, no character. Just lots of inspiration from you! Email me...

Michael Owings said...

Good Luck. I cant wait to hear how it goes.