Thursday, March 20, 2008

Singing

My girls in children's choir paid me the biggest compliment yesterday. I was singing as I was writing the night's agenda on the board, and they told me that I sang just like Ariel, The Little Mermaid.

Now, those of you who have known me for a while know that The Little Mermaid is my favorite Disney movie ever. And that for the longest time, I really identified with Ariel (spunky girl longing for adventure, held down by her overbearing, overprotective, stick-in-the-mud parents). These people also know that I have had "Part of That World" memorized since I was about 13. It's the ringtone on my phone, for Pete's sake. So when those girls asked me to sing "Part of That World", well...I might as well say it. I almost cried, and I was more than happy to oblige.

Also, I went to adult choir practice last night. Actually, I went last week, but my voice was completely gone, so I was mostly there for looks. I sat between Lisa and Beth, and I have to be honest, it felt so good to sing again. Sure, you can say that I sing every Wednesday night when I'm directing the children's choir, but I really missed singing adult music, and with other adults. It was comforting to hear our voices singing in unison.

It took me awhile to work up to going back to choir. I felt so bitter and hurt about the things that had gone on, but as I was so gently reminded, the choir didn't orchestrate the events. We were merely helpless bystanders. In times of tension, the choir needs to band together and be a unit. I thought to myself, "Who am I trying to punish?" Leslie and I were talking a few weeks ago, and she told me that the choir missed me, and I couldn't just leave it. "Music's in your blood, Josie. And you have to remember who you're really singing for." She was right.

Another thing I began to think was the kind of example I was setting for my kids in the children's choir. How could I expect them to show up to choir and rehearsals when I didn't go, either? Those kids need to see me sitting in that choir loft.

A new choir director has been hired, and I've decided to give him a fair chance, just the way I did with Lil. After all, none of this is his fault. For all I know, he just wants to go where God directs him, and he wants to worship God and help others lead worship. Isn't that what God has called us all to do?

No comments: