Sunday, February 17, 2008

Being Healthy


02/17/08; 30 years old; 5 feet 8 inches; 207 pounds.
I'm very much not proud of this picture.

It's hard for me to look at this picture, and it has very little to do with the fact that I'm wearing horizontal stripes. I don't always like what I see when I look in the mirror, but I definitely don't see this. It's really sad, too, because I was so happy this morning when I was trying on a few things. I bought a dress yesterday that I was supposed to be working to get in for Easter, and when I tried it on, it fit. I was ecstatic.

But, that picture is the reason I went to the Metabolic Medical Center in Mt. Pleasant. It's a real doctor's office. I had to fill out all kinds of medical paperwork, like family medical history, eating habits (that one was difficult...), and my own medical history. They weighed me, measured me, made me do a Body Mass Indicator test, counseled me about my choices and then talked to me about possible plans to follow. (Y'all know I love a plan and a schedule!) The one I chose has me drinking 2 supplements a day, having soup and salad for lunch, and then a nice dinner of lean protein and veggies. The only thing that bothers me is that I have to consume FOUR to SIX CUPS of veggies a day. That is going to be the real challenge with this program.

The worst part of my visit? When they attempted to draw blood. I don't like needles to begin with, but my veins are also almost completely non-existent, which makes it worse. They poked. They prodded. They made me rink two more bottles of water, and use stress balls so that I could make some veins appear. They used the tiny butterfly needles. But my veins said, "No, no, no!" and kept rolling and hiding from three (THREE!) different nurses. When I was in tears, at the end of my rope, they finally gave up and told me that they would try again when I came back for my checkup in two weeks. Really, though, everyone was super nice. It certainly wasn't the nurses' fault that my veins were playing hide and seek.

In two weeks, I'll post another picture. I won't be wearing horizontal stripes, that's for sure.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you Josie!!! I need to do something, but have 0 will power!! I will be praying for you in your new endevour to be healthy for yourself and your family!!!

Unknown said...

i am proud of you! i hit my breaking point around thanksgiving when all of my clothes were tight. i am doing weight watchers. my motivation is to be healthy so i can run around with my little boys this spring.

Josie Thames said...

Thank you both so much!

Leslie--if I can do it, with my 0% willpower, then I know you can, too! I just finally reached a point where I knew I had to do something. Thank you for your prayers--I'll need them.

Stacy--Me reading about you eating healthy and going to Weight Watchers, along with my Mother-In-Law's own success in her weight loss program is what inspired me!