Tuesday, April 25, 2006

American Idol Performances 04/25/2006

Classic Love Songs...does that really count as a theme? What really makes a song a classic? If the songs we heard last week were from The Great American Songbook, are these from VH1's 100 Greatest Love Songs? I wish that Ryan would clarify that for us, but instead he goes on to tell us about Andrea Bocelli and David Foster, this week's guests. I was really excited about this, because it means that the contestants will really hear a lot about proper singing technique.

Katharine is first, and she sings "I Have Nothing" by Whitney Houston. Ah, my favorite Whitney song by my favorite female contestant--this should be good. Kat looks gorgeous by the way, wearing this long yelllow halter number with a split up to the hip. She'd better watch which way she steps, or we might see ALL her business. I like the arrangement, I like the power in her voice, and I like that she looks like she's really connecting with the song--something that she has not been known for. Randy, Paula, and Simon hate it, and it makes me wonder if now they're trying to chip away the female contestants--time will tell.

The first I notice when the camera is on Elliott is his big blue tie. It's so gargantuan that I can't even concentrate on what he's saying. Thankfully, the interview segment is over, and Elliott's singing is so awesome that it diverts my attention away from Big Blue. He's singing Donnie Hathaway's "A Song For You", and though I've never heard it, the performance is wonderful. I am so happy that his nerves seem to have disappearred. Though Randy didn't like the arrangement, he thought Elliott was 'da bomb'; Paula is so moved that she's crying, and Simon goes on to say that it was like a vocal master class--something that hasn't been said since Kimberly Locke in Season 3.

No! Please tell me that it's not true, and that Kellie is not really going to sing The Untouchable Song, aka "Unchained Melody" by The Righteous Brothers. And please tell me that she's at least going to sing it straight, not the whiny LeAnn Rimes version. Why, God, why???? I guess someone had to sing it since Ace is gone (cause you know he totally would have). Y'all she is so OFF KEY. AGAIN! I mean, LeAnn was whiny, but at least it was on pitch! Gah! HAHAHAHAHA--the judges agree with me--it was a trainwreck!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!! BOTTOM THREE, BABY!!!!

The Paris Pain has returned. I didn't get to hear all of it, because I was setting up a game for Cathryn, but what I heard of Barbra Streisand's "The Way We Were" was not good. It felt nasal and forced, and strangely enough, the judges liked it? No, this is strategy. They're giving her just enough praise to make the voters think that she's safe. Bottom Three.

Taylor is singing a song I would never have picked for him--"Just Once" by James Ingram. Hmmm...he looks like he's wearing what's left of a tux after a very long wedding reception, and he's singing it like he's really living the song. And of course, me being the drama junkie that I am, really like this. He sounds under the music, though, and I don't know if it's his problem or a sound problem. Not my favorite performance, and the judges agree. Bottom Three?

Chris has come to save us all by singing Bryan Adams's "Have You Ever really Loved A Woman". What's this? Chris says he learned a new technique? Try the only technique, Chrissy-Poo, if you want to sing something correctly. But I digress--becuase the singing is sublime. Of course, he gets the crazy stalker eyes and starts screaming the lyrics at me during the middle of the song, but then he goes back to being sweet, ballad-singing Chris, and all is well with the world. Very deserving of the pimp-spot, and as my mother says, "The others are good, but Chris is IT." The judges are all over him, and I think Paula just replaced Ace with Chris, and the crowd is screaming so loudly that I can't even hear Simon. Hoorah!

Bottom Three: Paris, Kellie, Taylor/Kat
Top Three: Chris, Elliott, Taylor/Kat
Going home: Paris

As you can see, I'm undecided about Taylor and Katharine. They both received mixed or bad reviews from the judges, but also have strong fanbases. Tonight will make all things clear!

Toodles!
Josie

No comments: