Saturday, June 20, 2009

A Trip To The Bookstore

This past Saturday, Richie and I headed up to Market Common Myrtle Beach to do a little birthday shopping for me. What? I know my birthday is three weeks away, but I knew what I wanted, so Richie and I went to pick it up. I'm a big girl now, and I don't need presents ON my birthday. What's important is that I get presents. Sheesh.

Anyway, our first stop inside Market Common was this great store called Blue Mer. With all the pretty colors and preppy clothes, I could have purchased everything in the store. But I was there on a mission--to purchase a Vera Bradley wallet. Richie was very patient as I browsed through every single Vera item the store offered, even though I was just there for a wallet. This is what I ended up purchasing:

http://www.verabradley.com/Site/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?colorid=7&sku=223%3a7


I can even carry it as a purse on it's on, which I did the next day at church.

After leaving Blue Mer, Richie and I had lunch at P.F. Changs. We'd never eaten there before, and with us both loving Chinese food, we decided to give it a try. The shrimp dumplings were the best I'd ever tasted. I could have embarrassed myself with those dumplings, and ordered them six more times during the same setting, but I held back and enjoyed our Seasame Chicken and Sweet and Sour Pork. During lunch, I convinced Richie to walk into Barnes and Noble, instead of us driving straight over to Bass Pro Shops. He indulged me and said yes--on the condition that we didn't stay in there for six hours.

Those of you who know me well know that I literally could stay in that bookstore for the entire six hours and still need more time. I've made no secret that Barnes and Noble is my favorite bookstore, although I like the one in Mount Pleasant better than the store in Market Common.

My trip turned out to be very successful--two books! "Carolina Girls" by Steve Brown, which about four girls who spend summers at Pawleys Island during the 1960s, and "The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane" by Katherine Howe, about a Ph.D. candidate who makes a startling discovery about The Salem Witch Trials, turning everything she thought she knew upside down. A trip to Wal-Mart later that day to pick up some groceries also ended up fruitful, with "Sundays At Tiffany's" by James Petterson winding up in the cart. Victory!

I'm trying to finish up "She's Come Undone" by Wally Lamb. Normally, I read through books the way water might run through your hands, but this one is more difficult for me, because the main character goes through so much in her short life that's it's almost unbearable to read at times. I've been working on this particular story for over a month now.

On the other hand, maybe by the time I've finished "She's Come Undone", "Return to Sullivan's Island" by Dorothea Benton Frank will have arrived on my doorstep!

Toodles!

No comments: