Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Glee

I've been a lazy blogger, and I know this is a little late, but let's talk about the awesomeness that was Glee's premier two weeks ago. When was I this excited about a show? Hmm. Not counting Buffy, probably the Ugly Betty premier.

Let's take the characters down, one by one, starting with the adults:

--WILL SCHUESTER: Somehow, I just knew that he was a former choir kid from the beginning. The way he stared wistfully at the former choir teacher's picture in the trophy case; the fact that he wanted to take over Glee Club at all. It does make me wonder, though--why is he a Spanish teacher and not a Music teacher? Maybe he was just determined to come back to the school where he graduated, and that's all they had available...Anyway, as a choir director myself, I have to appreciate his zeal for making Glee Club what it used to be, even if some of his methods (*cough* planting marijuana *cough*) were a little unconventional and shady. But, that's why this show is a COMEDY, not a documentary.

--TERRI SCHUESTER: Oh my gosh, has she EVER been set up to be unlikeable! I mean, it's so cliche! Our introduction to her is one of the many stereotypes that are plaguing this show. I will say this--the producers cast the perfect actress for this role. Jessalyn Gilsig has perfected the art of playing unlikeable characters. Just watch the last season of "Heroes". One thing is bothering me, though--is she just being written into the show only as a foil to be written off when Will dumps her for Emma, the germaphobe guidance counselor? What I'd love to see is (wife's name) run off with someone else, leaving poor Will brokehearted and alone, with Emma there to pick up the pieces. Or, if we can't get her to run off, at least round her out a little bit. Can we find out why someone like Will would fall in love and marry someone like Terry?

--EMMA PILLSBURY: What can I say? I am in love. It's probably not right to say that I'm in love with a female character, but I just cannot help myself. She's just so precious and persnickety that she makes Monica Gellar from "Friends" look like a slob. And did you see her shoes? What more can you ask from a character? Oh, wait--she also very visibly crushing hard on our long-suffering Spanish teacher/Glee club sponsor, but she also encourages him at every point! Follow your passion, she tells him. She may as well be saying, "Be passionate for me!" But, as these things go, Will is the eternal good guy and is just too blind to see Emma's feelings for him, and how great they would be together. It's so Ross and Rachel. (Sorry--I've been watching Friends reruns lately.)

--SUE SYLVESTER: Talk about a villan! Oh, she's great. It's helpful that she's played dryly and sardonically by the wonderful dry and sardonic Jane Lynch. Sue's not even trying to be the villain, I don't think. She's realistic, and is ambitious, and expects her cheerleaders to be ambitious. Question--what does Sue do at McKinley High School besides coach cheerleading? Shouldn't she have actual classes to teach? Could you imagine her teaching Health? My eyes are brimming with tears just thinking about the ensuing hilarity!

--Gym Teacher: Could there be a more clueless character on television? Emma continually rebuffs his advances, and he just doesn't get it, does he? Of course, every school has a gym teacher and most of them have a football coach, so I suppose this character had to be written in, but I just can't see where the writers could be going with this lunkhead. He's got to be just a periferal character, one who's there for comic relief.

The students:

--RACHEL BERRY: Oh, wow. She's a bit like Sharpay from High School Musical, isn't she? But with better grades and talent. Speaking of talent, her voice is amazing. It's obvious that she was on Broadway, and even more obvious that she is not a mere sophomore in high school. I loved her line to Finn when they were waiting in line to see the other show choir: "I think people kind of expect us to be a couple." Two things are going on here--Rachel has a thing for Finn, and the writers are telling us what we, as fans, as seasoned viewers of serial television expect--that the two leads of this show, like Will and Emma, will end up together. Very smart.

--FINN HUDSON: Yeah, another stereotype--the sensitive jock. When you're writing this character, though, it's kind of like painting yourself into a corner. If you write him like his friend Puck, he's a stereotype, and if you write him sensitive/artistic/creative/musical, he's still a stereotype. What' s good is that the writers let him grow right there in the pilot episode, showing us that he's a natural leader, as well, instead of a follower. What I do love about the character is his love for his mother and his obvious desire to please her, which means putting his own desires on the back burner. Also, who can't love that he gets his musical inspiration from a terminally-trapped-in-the-80s landscaper?

--KURT HUMMEL: Poor Kurt. Watching him is like watching Marc St. James: The High School years, before he set off to Manhatten to pursue a career in fashion at Mode and insulting Betty Suarez on Ugly Betty. He's endlessly teased and tortured by the popular kids. I hope that he grows up very, very rich.

--MERCEDES JONES: Hold the phone! We have got a diva on our hands! She is so incredible to watch and hear. I do hope that Will sees the potential Beyonce in her and gives her some solos. In the same vein, I can't wait for the writers to give Mercedes her own storyline, because her personality is to bright to relegate to the background.

--ARTIE ABRAMS: This kid cracks me up. As a wheelchair-bound kid, we're kind of predisposed to feel pity for him, but he absolutely does not let his disability get in his way.

--TINA COHEN-CHANG: Oh, she's an angry one, isn't she? Her choice to join show choir is a curious one, and I can't wait for us to find out why. Maybe it will be something delicious, like Ally Sheedy in "The Breakfast Club"--"I didn't have anything better to do today."

--QUINN FABRAY: Quinn is quite a study in contrasts. She's the President of The Celibacy Club, and demonstrably a praying Christian. But do Christians treat others the way Quinn treats the folks in the glee club? Those of us who are Christian should look at her and do the exact opposite. I usually like the mean girls, but Quinn is just a little too mean for my taste. Also? "Finn and Quinn"? Rhyming names? A little too precious, writers.

--PUCK: I had some rough times in middle and high school, but I've never seen ANYONE trap a wheelchair-bound kid in a Porta-Potty and threaten to turn it over. Is anyone really that mean? It made my stomach turn.

Well, that's my take. And I have to confess--September 16 cannot get here fast enough. How am I going to last all summer?

See you at Nationals!

Toodles!

No comments: