Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Nerves

Leslie and I were talking yesterday, and we both admitted that we were very nervous about the musical next week. Like, nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. And it's not like the kids haven't been working--we had all the kids sing and recite their lines from the first half of the play last Wednesday, and that went great.

Of course, I have theories.

1. "Rock Solid", the spring musical, is a much bigger production than the Christmas musical "Mystery of the Manger". At Christmas, the kids never left the stage, or their places for that matter. Rock Solid uses lots of movement, and there are seven dramatic scenes that have the characters moving on and off the stage. A moving kid is an unpredictable kid!

2. In the spring, time moves more quickly. We had four months to practice for Christmas, as well as four months to practice for Spring. It just FEELS shorter!

3. The kids have spring fever! Plus, they are stretched thinner this time of year, with field trips, tests, and extracurricular activities. It's more difficult to get them to focus.

Of course, it doesn't help that people have been telling me their own personal children's musical horror stories. It's like being pregnant--everyone wants to tell you what went wrong. Well, no offense, but I don't want to hear it!

Be positive, people! Positive!

ETA: Last night's practice went reasonable well--behavior was not much of a problem, though they were a rambunctious group. We keep telling them that they will "play how they practice"--maybe one day we'll actually explain that phrase to them. Leslie and I also got a lot accomplished, scheduling- and decorating-wise. All we can do now is pray and decorate the sanctuary.

Actually, I already know that prayer is sufficient. I keep leaning on my own strength instead of giving it to God. I need to be careful--God gave me this ministry, and He can just as easily take it away.

Toodles!

No comments: