Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Singing

I got a new Women of Faith CD the other day, and listening to it, I realized that I don't write enough about singing.

Let's just lay out there right now--I love singing. I live and breathe music. I see performance sequences in my head when I hear a song. I think about clothes I'd like to wear if I were to sing a particular song. It doesn't matter that I'll probably have a choir robe over it; I'll know what I'm wearing. When I hear a song that I love, I can feel the beat in my stomach and chest. I feel the words in my blood and on my skin. It rolls around in my head all day long.

When I get to stand on that stage and sing, I feel like I'm home. That microphone in my hand is just an extension of my arm. Sometimes, I don't know if it's a bad thing that I don't use a wireless microphone, because I would be all over the stage most likely. Sometimes, I can't even feel my mouth moving, even though I can hear myself singing.

I don't remember when I started singing. I remember always loving music. As a young child, our family had one television, and we all had to watch the same thing, which means we watched what Daddy wanted to watch. And what did Daddy want to watch? The Dukes of Hazzard, Hee-Haw, and The Barbara Mandrell Show. It is, by the sheer grace and mercy of God, that I did not turn out to be a redneck. Honestly, I thank Him every day that He made me rebellious enough to reject those things. I shudder to think what Redneck Josie might be like.

ANYWAY--I never really "got" DoH or HH, but I loved The Barbara Mandrell Show. I can't pinpoint it exactly, but there was just something about it that I loved. Maybe it was the singing combined with the sketches, and then there were all the musical guests. All of it fascinated me as a child. I loved Barbara and Louise--Irline, not so much. I remember dressing up in this blue and red plaid shirt with a ruffled collar, and singing into my jump rope, pretending to be Barbara. Looking back on family pictures, I think I even had short, feathered hair. An obsessor, even back then. How surprising.

But I guess there's always been something about so-called "girl groups". Point of Grace is one of my favorite singing groups. I also love the Women of Faith Worship Team. Naturally, when LuAnn asked me to join the Ladies' Praise Team at Screven, I jumped at the chance. To hear our voices blend together was a magical thing, and my heart was broken when we disbanded. I still don't think they've healed all the way. Singing with the Rock The House band was an awesome experience, too, because I had (save LuAnn) a new group of girls with whom to sing. I miss that, too.

I don't think that I properly convey my excitement for singing--and music-- the way I should. It's something I'm definitely going to work on improving.

Toodles!

No comments: