Thursday, April 29, 2010

American Idol Season 9, Episode 35: Results

Last night, like last Wednesday, was another big night of performances on American Idol. Wednesday nights are quickly turning into a concert series instead of being about the elimination results.

Starting the show off was Rascall Flatts singing their Olympics/Toyota song "Unstoppable". I can understand it being the theme for the Olympics, with athletes and all that, but I don't think choosing a song called "Unstoppable" was really a wise decision for Toyota, given all their brake problems and issues they've been having lately. Also, does Rascall Flatts do anything besides sing theme songs anymore?

Oh, dear. So now the Twilight/Vampire craze has hit American Idol. Really, American Idol? Really, Ford? Y'all just couldn't resist the urge to cash in, could you? Sheesh, what a terrible Ford pimpmercial. Listen, it's not that I don't like Stephanie Meyer's series. I really do. Well, I like everything but the last book. I didn't like the way she wrapped everything up in a nice little bow. Besides that, does no one remember my lifelong obsession with Buffy The Vampire Slayer? I still get excited when I see someone that was on that show in something else, so don't think I'm hating on vampires. They both fascinate and scare the bejesus out of me. ANYWAY, I thought this commercial was an example of what's really wrong in popular culture today. Take one stroll down the Young Adult/Teen Fiction aisle at your local bookstore and all you will see are ripoffs of the Twilight series. Are there no new ideas anymore? Or, at least original takes on old ideas?

OK, now we're down to results: Ryan splits the contestants up into three groups of two: Siobhan Magnus and Lee Dewyze in the first group, sent to the far left of the stage. Aaron Kelly and Crystal Bowersox in the second group, sent to the middle of the stage. Finally, Michael Lynche and Casey James were placed in the third group and told to stand on the right side of the stage closest to Ryan. Ryan then took Siobhan by the arm and walked her toward the couches, but stopped in front of Mike and Casey, announcing that this was the Bottom Three. Oh, that was COLD, letting her think she was safe and then chucking her into the Bottom Three like that. Lee, Aaron, and Crystal are safe.

In an obvious cut from last week's Idol Gives Back episode, Carrie Underwood introduced Sons Of Sylvia, and I have to admit that they were pretty good. I kind of wanted to hear more, and am thinking that maybe I need to look up their CD or something. They definitely need to be added to my playlist.

Ok, y'all. You HAVE to give me a moment to get fangirly over Lady Antebellum. It took me a little bit to get warmed up to them, but once I did, I really began to love their music. At first, I thought they were just a second-rate Sugarland knockoff, but in actuality, their blend and their aesthetic are quite different. In keeping with this week's theme of country crossovers, Lady Antebellum has a very country-pop sound, and I have to admit that I like them. I have both CDs, and "Need You Now" is in heavy rotation on my playlist.

Rascall Flatts AGAIN? Ugh, and this time they're singing with Shakira. Had to be the strangest duet ever. Completely and utterly forgettable.

Ryan's back with the Bottom Three at center stage: Siobhan, Michael, and Casey. Mike is immediately sent to the Couch of Safety. Whew! That left Siobhan and Casey, with Siobhan being eliminated.

Honestly, I can't say that I'm disappointed, because as long as the Top 4 is Crystal Bowersox, Lee Dewyze, Michael Lynche, and Casey James, I am A-OK. That' right, Aaron Kelly, I'm putting you on notice--next week shall be your last. Don't mess with the order of things.

Next week: The producers totally make up for Shania Twain week by having the Top 5 sing FRANK FREAKING SINATRA, mentored by Harry Connick, Jr. Where was Shania last night? Why didn't she perform? Why wasn't there a horribly lip-synced group sing medley of Shania's songs? Oh, that's right, the Top 6 sang every song she had out Tuesday night. There were no songs left for the Top 6 to sing! My bad.

See you Tuesday! Toodles!

No comments: