Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Guilty Pleasures

We all have guilty pleasures. Some people listen to ABBA, read trashy romance novels at the beach, or maybe are secretly addicted to low-budget reality shows. Me? Well, sure, I listen to ABBA, but I'm not really ashamed of it. Don't even get me started on how excited I am to see Mamma Mia!

My guilty pleasure is kiddie television. That's right--I'm putting it out there. I've been known to actually sit down with Cathryn and watch Drake and Josh, iCarly, and Hannah Montana. And laugh. I will really laugh, because I find them funny. Sure, not as funny as Friends or The Office or Ugly Betty, but funny in their own dorky little way. After all, I'm pretty dorky myself.

Drake and Josh, along with Hannah Montana, are good, silly, slapstick fun. It's easy humor for a few good laughs. The one that really gets me, though, is iCarly, mainly because of the snark factor. And y'all know how I love me some snark. The characters snark everyone. They even snark each other. And don't get me started on Carly's brother Spencer. He's just flat insane.

It makes me sad that there aren't more shows on television that parents and children can watch together. Where's The Cosby Show when you need it? As a kid, ABC used to have a Friday night lineup of family-friendly shows called "TGIF". Sure, Family Matters and Full House were completely cheesy, but it was something that the four of us (yes, my Daddy included) could sit down and watch together, and we weren't getting violence or sex pumped into our brains.

Sometimes, I miss being a kid, when life was simpler. Maybe that's what guilty pleasures are all about, anyway.

2 comments:

Kim Eckhardt said...

If it makes you feel any better, I know just as much about those shows as Shane and Owen. And, my kids know most of the Scooby Doo shows and the old Tom and Jerry, the Smurfs, etc. Yeah. I watch those too. LOL

Anonymous said...

ok, so i don't have kids but at any given moment teletubbies or strawberry shortcake can be found on my tv! kid shows are fun!